The best universities in the UK for student experience have been revealed, according to a Times Higher Education survey of current students.
Loughborough University in the East Midlands tops the list, up one place from second position last year.
Harper Adams University, specialising in agricultural subjects, enters the ranking for the first time, in second place. Keele University is also new to the top 10.
More than 15,000 full-time undergraduates were asked how strongly they agreed that their university offered 21 different provisions, including “high quality staff/lectures”, “good extracurricular activities” and “good support and welfare”.
The most improved institution this year is Southampton Solent University, which climbed 36 places from last year to reach joint 54th position.
At the bottom of the table, London universities occupy 12 of the last 20 places, largely due to low scores for accommodation and community feeling on campus.
All eligible universities with more than 50 student respondents are included in the rankings tables below.
- Student Experience Survey 2016 methodology: what do students care about?
- Read comments from students at the best and most improved universities
- View the best UK universities for the student experience by region
- Students get serious about study
- Universities that get it right: working together to create the vibe
- A rankings surge in the city by the sea
- Sixth sense – or how to choose the best course
- Creating the new professionals: improving students’ employability
- Winning combinations: world-class sport and fitness facilities
- Capital loss: why do London’s universities cluster towards the bottom of the table?
- Browse the results of the last year's Student Experience Survey
Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2016 results
Click each institution to view its rank and results in the World University Rankings 2015-2016. The best performers by individual attributes are shown below the main results table.
Top universities in the ‘high quality staff/lectures’ measure
Top universities in the ‘helpful/interested staff’ measure
Top universities in the ‘well structured courses’ measure
Top universities in the ‘good social life’ measure
Top universities in the ‘good community atmosphere’ measure
Top universities in the ‘good extracurricular activities/societies’ measure
Top universities in the ‘good environment on campus/around university’ measure
Top universities in the ‘high quality facilities’ measure
Top universities in the ‘personal requirements catered for’ measure