* Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh, has appointed Susan Deacon , former member of the Scottish Parliament and health minister, professor of social change.
* David Barclay has been appointed to a senior lecturership in Robert Gordon University's School of Life Sciences; he is the former head of physical evidence at the UK National Crime and Operations Faculty.
* Marc Clement , currently senior executive at the University of Wales Swansea, will take the role of vice-chancellor and chief executive of the University of Wales. His post replaces the role of senior vice-chancellor, formerly undertaken on a part-time basis. Hugh Thomas, chairman of the Swansea National Health Service Trust (2001-05) has been appointed chair of the university's council.
* Hugh Jones , academic registrar at St George's, University of London, has been appointed registrar and secretary of Goldsmiths, University of London.
* Melanie Jasper has been appointed professor and head of the School of Health Science at Swansea University. She formerly managed the department of social work, community and mental health at Canterbury Christ Church University in Kent.
* Teesside University has appointed Keith Brown , previously director of the international office at Sunderland University, director of the Centre for interNational Development.