* Richard Hays has joined Keele University as professor of medical education and head of the medical school. He was previously chair of medical education and foundation dean at James Cook University, Queensland, Australia.
* Abertay University has appointed Steve Olivier as head of its School of Social and Health Sciences and professor of sport and exercise science. He has been a rugby coach in England and South Africa and is an accredited researcher with the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences.
* Cranfield University's school of management has promoted Richard Wilding to a chair in supply chain risk management.
* Nadia Danhash has been named the Royal College of Art's first manager of intellectual property.
* i10, a collaboration of the East of England's ten universities, has announced the appointment of marketing and start-up expert Jonathan Hogg to the post of marketing director.
* Lawrence Pratchett has been appointed professor of local democracy at De Montfort University. He is director of De Montfort's Local Governance Research Unit and academic adviser to the Local E-Democracy National Project board.
* John Parkinson has been appointed professor of education in charge of the Swansea School of Education.