The trustees of the Commonwealth Institute have announced that Christopher Colclough , professor and director of the global monitoring report on Education for All, based at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation in Paris, will be the first director of the Centre for Commonwealth Education, a joint venture between the institute and the faculty of education at the University of Cambridge.
* Karen Stanton , former director of information services at the University of Nottingham and former head of the University of Birmingham's Learning and Research Support Division, has been appointed director of Sheffield Hallam University's Learning Centre.
* Graeme Davies , until recently principal and vice-chancellor of the University of Glasgow and now vice-chancellor of University of London, has been appointed to Glasgow School of Art's board of governors.
* The chancellor of the exchequer has appointed David Miles , professor of finance in the business school at Imperial College London, a non-executive director of the Financial Services Authority.
* Chris Batt , former director of Resource's libraries and information society team, has been appointed chief executive of Resource: The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries.
* Robert Gordon University has appointed three deans: Val Maehle , professor, dean of the faculty of health and social care; Rita Marcella , professor, dean of Aberdeen Business School; and Ian Pirie , dean of the faculty of design and technology with the title professor.