* David Allen, registrar and secretary at the University of Birmingham and formerly registrar at the University of Nottingham, has been appointed registrar and secretary of the University of Exeter, where he will take up his post at the end of September.
* David Nethercot, professor of civil engineering and head of the department of civil and environmental engineering at Imperial College London, will take up his role as president of the Institution of Structural Engineers in October, succeeding Bob McKittrick.
* Helen Pickering, deputy vice-chancellor at the University of Teesside, has been appointed first executive director at Universities for the North East.
* Humphry Trevelyan, head of the school of media and visual arts at Southampton University, founder member of the Independent Filmmakers Association and director of the Berwick Street Film Collective, has been appointed first head of the International Film School Wales at the University of Wales College, Newport. He will take up the post in June.
* Paul Stafford, head of foundation studies at Kingston University's faculty of art, design and music, has been appointed the first artist in residence at Kingston Theatre.
* Christine Braddock, principal and chief executive of Matthew Boulton College of Further and Higher Education, has been appointed non-executive member of the Jazz FM licence bid team.