The University of Kent at Medway has appointed Tim Luckhurst its first professor of journalism and the news industry. He is a former editor of The Scotsman and has been deputy editor of BBC Radio Four's Today programme.
* The London Centre for Nanotechnology (LCN), a joint venture combining the nanotechnology expertise of Imperial College and University College London, has appointed David McComb , reader in materials characterisation at Imperial College London, its co-director.
* The head of the department of economics at Glasgow University, Farhad Noorbakhsh , has been elected a fellow of the Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA) in recognition of his work in the field of economics.
* Leicester University has appointed Al Rainnie professor and director of research at the centre for labour market studies. He was formerly professor at Monash University in Melbourne. Ian Hutchby has joined the department of sociology and will take up the role of director of research within it. He was formerly professor of sociology and communication at Brunel University.
* Gillian Hogg , former head of the department of marketing at Strathclyde University, has been appointed head of the School of Management and Languages at Heriot-Watt University from September.
* Computer games developer William Latham is to become professor in the department of computing at Goldsmiths, University of London, from Computer Artworks. He will work on developing a masters in computer gaming and entertainment.