* Paul Kennedy has been appointed the first Philippe Roman professor of history and international affairs at the London School of Economics.
Professor Kennedy is currently J. Richardson Dilworth professor of history at Yale University, where he teaches on political, economic and strategic issues.
* Janet Finch , vice-chancellor of Keele University, has been named co-chair of the Council for Science and Technology - the Government's top advisory group on science. Professor Finch, who became a member of the body in 2004, will act as chair alongside Sir David King, the Government's Chief Scientific Adviser.
* The Queen has approved the appointment of two regius chairs at Oxford University. Sarah Foot , professor of early medieval history at Sheffield University, becomes the first female regius chair of ecclesiastical history. Nigel Biggar , professor of theology at Trinity College, Dublin, and Canon of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, becomes the regius chair of moral and pastoral theology.
* Kent University has appointed Alex Hughes pro vice-chancellor.
She is currently pro vice-chancellor for quality and students at Birmingham University. She will take up her new post in June.
* Karen Hassell , director of the Centre for Pharmacy Workforce Studies, has been appointed to a new chair in social pharmacy at Manchester University.