* The Institute of Advanced Legal Studies has appointed a director to succeedBarry Rider: Avrom Sherr, former Alsop Wilkinson professor of law at Liverpool University and director of the Centre for Business and Professional Law, has been founding Woolf professor of legal education at the IALS since 1995.
* C. Duncan Rice, principal of Aberdeen University, has been made a member of the Scotland committee of the Heritage Lottery Fund.
* Dundee University's department of accountancy and business finance has appointed: Christine Hellar, chair of treasury management; John Burns, former senior lecturer at Manchester University, chair of management and accountancy; and Jim Haslam, formerly at Heriot-Watt University, chair of accountancy and business finance.
* David Parker, Cranfield School of Management's chair of business economics and strategy, has been appointed to write the official history of privatisation in the UK. His appointment was announced by the Prime Minister.
* Leeds University has appointed: Edmund Linfield, leader of a research group at Cavendish Laboratory Cambridge, to the chair of terahertz electronics; Martin Conway, former head of psychology at Durham University, to a chair in cognitive psychology; Michael McDermott, formerly at Queen Mary University of London, to a chair of experimental rheumatology; Brian Robertson, previously at Strathclyde University, to the Eberhard Buhl chair of biomedical sciences; and Vlatko Vedral, of Imperial College London, to a chair in quantum information.