* Roy Crawford , professor of engineering materials and pro vice-chancellor at Queen's University Belfast, has been appointed vice-chancellor of Waikato University, New Zealand.
* Paul O'Prey , director of academic affairs at Bristol University, has been appointed rector and chief executive of Roehampton University of Surrey.
* Clive Cooke , principal of South Kent College, has been appointed principal of Guildford College.
* Manchester University has appointed: Caroline Carlisle , senior lecturer at Glasgow University, professor of education in nursing and midwifery; Pierre-Richard Agénor , lead economist at the World Bank and distinguished visiting scholar at Yale University, Hallsworth professor of international macroeconomics and development economics; Michael Turner , reader at Sheffield University, professor of materials chemistry; and Mary Deaton , former senior research fellow, professor of nursing. Promotional chairs have been awarded to: Dianne Parker , reader in psychology and professor of applied psychology; Kieran Walshe , professor of health policy and management; Lawrence Gifford , professor of learning and skills in pharmacy; Jikyeong Kang , professor of marketing; Reginald Wood , professor of mathematics; Frederick Chung Wei Wu , professor of medicine and endocrinology; and David Fanning , professor of music. Thomas Gibbons' title has changed to Halliwelll, Landau professor of law.
* Gresham College's council has appointed Robin Williams professor of geometry. He is head of the pure maths department at the Open University, a fellow at Keble College, Oxford and visiting professor at Colorado College.