* Keith Peters , regius professor of physic and head of the University of Cambridge's School of Clinical Medicine, has been elected president of the Academy of Medical Sciences. He succeeds Peter Lachmann, the academy's first president.
* David Nutt , professor and dean of clinical medicine and dentistry at the University of Bristol, has been made an honorary professor at the University of Maastricht.
* Jennifer Wood , operations director at Mace Ltd, has been appointed director of estates at the University of Oxford, succeeding Peter Hill on his retirement in October. Among her previous appointments, Ms Wood was a senior planner on a Canary Wharf building and project manager for two regeneration studies in the former East Germany.
* Jo Jackson , former business development manager at Napier University, has been appointed director of enterprise at Liverpool John Moores University.
* Sue Wright , director of the Learning and Teaching Support Network Centre for Sociology, Anthropology and Politics and senior lecturer in cultural studies at the University of Birmingham, has been appointed the first professor in educational anthropology at the Danish Educational University in Copenhagen.
* Tony Avery , professor in the division of primary care at the University of Nottingham, has been elected chair of the United Kingdom Drug Utilisation Research Group.