* Fred Coalter, director of the Centre for Leisure Research at the University of Edinburgh, has been appointed Scotland's first professor of sports policy at the University of Stirling.
* John Everson, reader and honorary consultant in oral medicine and pathology at the University of Bristol, has been appointed by the World Health Organisation to edit their reclassification and accompanying text on the pathology and genetics of tumours of the head and neck.
* The University of Leeds has appointed: Roger Halston, former holder of the H. K. Bevan chair of law at the University of Hull, to a chair in law; and Susan Ward, former director of the Centre for Exercise Science and Medicine at the University of Glasgow, has been appointed chair of sport and exercise science.
* Mark Palmer, former Arts and Humanities Research Board research fellow in creative and performing arts at the University of Staffordshire, has been appointed the first Watershed senior research fellow at the University of the West of England.
* Phil Lee, former head of the Centre for Studies in the Social Sciences at Edge Hill College, has been appointed director of the School of Applied Social Sciences at Liverpool John Moores University.
* David Melville, vice-chancellor of the University of Kent, has been appointed a member of the government's working group on 14-to-19 reform.
* Ian Holmes has joined the Centre for Performing Arts at the University of the West of England. He wasformer director of music at Colston's Collegiate School.