* Dave Delpy , vice-provost for research at University College London, has been appointed chief executive and deputy chair of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council. John Armitt , Network Rail's chief executive, has been appointed chair of the EPSRC, succeeding Julian Higgins.
* John Steel has been appointed head of the school of engineering at Robert Gordon University (RGU), Aberdeen. Professor Steel is currently academic head of mechanical engineering at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
* De Montfort University has appointed two new deans. Adrian Hopgood , fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts and the Higher Education Academy, will join the faculty of computing sciences and engineering; Heidi Macpherson , professor of American literature at the University of Central Lancashire, will join the faculty of humanities.
* Wolverhampton University has appointed the following as deans of schools: Kit Field , founder of the Centre for Education Leadership and School Improvement, will head the School of Education; Linda Lang , currently acting dean of the faculty of health and wellbeing at Sheffield Hallam University, joins the School of Health; John Pymm , formerly associate dean of the School of Sport, Performing Arts and Leisure, becomes the school's dean.
* Andrew Linzey has been appointed honorary professor at Winchester University. He is a member of the faculty of theology at Oxford University and director of the new Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics.