George Reid , member and presiding officer of the Scottish Parliament, has been appointed honorary professor at the School of Law, Glasgow University.
* Eddie Frizzell , former head of the Scottish Executive's Enterprise, Transport and Lifelong Learning Department and chief executive of the Scottish Prison Service, has been appointed visiting professor of public services management at Queen Margaret University College.
* Joan Stringer , principal and vice-chancellor of Napier University, Edinburgh, will become the first British woman to be made an honorary citizen of Shandong Province, China, in recognition of her efforts to develop educational and economic links between Scotland and the province.
* Rebecca Jester has been appointed head of the School of Nursing and Midwifery at Keele University. She was previously associate dean responsible for postgraduate studies in the School of Health at Wolverhampton University.
* Glasgow Caledonian University has appointed Anne Sibbald head of organisational development. She is currently director of leadership development and diversity at the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education and is a former head of group diversity at the Royal Bank of Scotland.
* The University of Central Lancashire has appointed: Jane Singer , professor at the University of Iowa, to the Johnston Press chair in digital journalism; Gordon Becket , professor at the University of Otago, to a chair in pharmacy practice; and Keyuan Zou , formerly at the National University of Singapore, to the Harris Foundation professorship in international law.