* John Turner , formerly dean of science, engineering and the built environment at London South Bank University, has been appointed pro vice-chancellor at Portsmouth University.
* Paul Seawright , currently professor of photography and dean of art, media and design at the University of Wales, Newport, has been appointed to a newly established professorship in photography at Ulster University.
* St Mary's College, Twickenham has awarded a professorship to Brian Robinson , head of the school of communication, culture and creative arts.
* Manchester University has appointed Erik Swyngedouw professor of geography. He was previously professor of geography at Oxford University. John O'Neill leaves Lancaster University for a professorship in philosophy in Manchester University's school of social sciences
* Sussex University welcomed three new pro vice-chancellors on September 1. Paul Layzell moves from Manchester University to become pro vice-chancellor (resources) and deputy vice-chancellor; Bob Allison , formerly of Durham University, is appointed pro vice-chancellor (research); and Joanne Wright , who moves from Royal Holloway, University of London, becomes pro vice-chancellor (education).
* Knowledge West, the knowledge exchange consortium of six universities in the West of England (Bath, Bath Spa Bristol, Gloucestershire, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester and UWE), has appointed Fern Urquhart as its new director. She is currently business interface manager at the University of the West of England.