- Paul Wellings , vice-chancellor of Lancaster University; Dianne Willcocks , principal of York St John University; and Alastair Balls , chief executive of the International Centre for Life, have been appointed to the board of the Higher Education Funding Council for England. They replace outgoing members Peter Scott , vicechancellor of Kingston University, and Richard Coldwell , chair of governors at the former North London University.
- Dundee University has announced four new vice-principals who will head four new colleges. Anne Anderson becomes vice-principal and head of the College of Art and Design, Architecture, Engineering and Physical Sciences; Irene Leigh vice-principal and head of the College of Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing; Peter Downes vice-principal and head of the College of Life Sciences; and Christopher Whatley becomes vice-principal and head of the College of Arts and Social Sciences.
- Nottingham Trent University has appointed Ann Priest , dean at the London College of Fashion, dean of its art and design school from October 2006.
- Charlie Beckett , programme editor for Channel 4 News , has been appointed director of POLIS, a new forum to discuss journalism’s future in the 21st century. It was launched this year by the London School of Economics and the University of the Arts/London College of Communications.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now