* Cambridge University has appointed Arnoud De Meyer director of its Judge Business School, from September. Professor De Meyer is currently deputy dean at INSEAD, the international business school based in Fontainebleu, near Paris. He takes over from Dame Sandra Dawson.
* Keele University has appointed Gauthier Lanot to the chair in economics. He was previously professor of economics at Queen's University, Belfast. Karen Hunt is appointed to the chair in modern British history.
She was previously a senior lecturer at Manchester Metropolitan University.
Christopher Main is appointed to the chair in psychology (pain management).
He was previously professor in clinical and occupational rehabilitation at Manchester University.
* Luton University has appointed Cyril Weir to the Powdrill chair in English language acquisition. Professor Weir, previously at Roehampton University, will set up the Centre for Research in English Language Learning and Assessment, which aims to improve academic literacy and language skills among students.
* Gloucestershire University has appointed Richard Billingham , artist and Turner Prize nominee in 2001, as a tutor on its fine art and photography degree programme.
* Edge Hill College of Higher Education has appointed former Granada newsreader Peter Berry as a senior lecturer in broadcast journalism.