* James Crabbe , head of the School of Animal and Microbial Sciences at Reading University, has been appointed dean of creative arts, technologies and science at Luton University.
* Richard Williams , professor of mineral and process engineering at Leeds University, has been elected vice-president of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
* Bolton University has appointed George Holmes vice-chancellor designate, to succeed Mollie Temple next March. He is principal and chief executive of Doncaster College and University Centre and chief executive of the Doncaster Education City Project.
* Lionel Griffiths , principal lecturer in taxation at Newport Business School, University of Wales, has been elected president of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants in South Wales.
* Teesside University has announced the following school deanships: Derek Simpson , formerly acting dean, computing; Liz Barnes , former deputy dean of health and social care, dean of social sciences and law; and Gerda Roper , former associate dean for research at Northumbria University, dean of arts and media.
* Penny Renwick , head of clinical health sciences at Huddersfield University, has been appointed director of the new School of Health, Psychology and Social Care at Manchester Metropolitan University.
* The Open University's faculty of health and social care has appointed: Shirley Reveley , professor and head of nursing at St Martin's College, director of nursing; and Monica Dowling , deputy dean and senior lecturer in social work at Royal Holloway, University of London, professor of social work.