* Nottingham University has appointed Gary England foundation dean of its new Veterinary School. He is currently chief veterinary officer and head of science at Guide Dogs for the Blind and a former professor of veterinary reproduction at the Royal Veterinary College.
* Khalid Aziz , chairman of the Aziz Corporation (communications), has been appointed visiting professorial fellow at Southampton University's School of Management.
* Peter Gregory , pro vice-chancellor for enterprise at Reading University and professor of soil science, has been appointed director of the Scottish Crop Research Institute on the retirement of John Hillman.
* The Birmingham Conservatoire (part of the University of Central England, Birmingham) has appointed Ronald Woodley professor of music in the department of research. He has held positions at Christ Church, Oxford, and Liverpool and Newcastle universities as lecturer and senior lecturer, and at Lancaster University where he was honorary senior research fellow.
* Dan Diaper , former professor of systems science and engineering at Bournemouth University, has been appointed senior research fellow at the School of Computing Science at Middlesex Univer-sity.
* Kurt Hans Goedicke , currently principal timpanist emeritus for the London Symphony Orchestra and former senior professor of timpani at the Royal Academy of Music, has been appointed head of timpani and percussion at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.