* Diana Liverman, former director of the Centre for Latin American Studies at the University of Arizona, has been appointed director of the Environmental Change Institute and professor of environmental science at the University of Oxford.
* Anglia Polytechnic University has named Rebecca Stott, formerly of York and Leeds universities, professor of English; and Vernon Trafford, consultant to the British Council, the European Rectors Conference and the World Bank, has been awarded a personal chair in education.
* Roger Goodman, fellow of St Antony's College, Oxford, and lecturer in the social anthropology of Japan, has been named chair at the Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies.
* George Carey, former archbishop of Canterbury, has been installed as the first chancellor of the University of Gloucestershire.
* The University of Leicester's Management Centre has appointed the following: Mike Bresnen, former senior lecturer at the University of Warwick's Business School, professor of organisational behaviour; Gerard Hanlon, former senior lecturer at King's College London, professor of organisations and society; Martin Parker, professor at Keele University, professor of organisation; Cliff Oswick, reader, professor of organisation theory and development; Colin Williams, reader, professor of management; Simon Lilley, formerly a senior lecturer, now reader; and Gary Koop, previously Adam Smith professor at the University of Glasgow, professor of economics.
* Bob Lewin, professor of health sciences at York, has been made honorary professor in the faculty of health sciences at Deakin University, Australia.