* Graham Winch , professor of business analysis in the University of Plymouth's Business School, has been made president-elect of the Systems Dynamics Society. He will serve as society president for 2005.
* The University of Leicester has appointed: Timothy Coats , former senior lecturer at Queen Mary, University of London, professor of accident and emergency medicine in the department of cardiovascular sciences; Mark Allinson , former senior lecturer at Royal Holloway, University of London, professor of Spanish; John Dumbrell , former professor in American studies at Keele University, professor in the department of politics; and Ray Bull , former professor of psychology at Portsmouth University, professor of forensic psychology.
* City University has appointed: Eamon Martin , the acting registrar, academic registrar; Deborah James project director, to coordinate health alliance activities with Queen Mary, University of London; and Melissa Hardee , partner in the law firm CMS Cameron McKenna, director of the legal practice course at the university's Inns of Court School of Law.
* The University of Dundee has appointed: Trevor Harley , senior lecturer, to a chair in cognitive psychology; Pauline Schaap to a chair in the School of Life Sciences; and Eric Abel to a chair of biomedical engineering.
* Paul Humphreys , senior lecturer in the department of psychology, health and social care at University College Worcester, has been appointed national chief examiner for the Advanced Extension Award.