In the debate about research assessment exercise/research excellence framework systems, it has become prevalent for "STEM" and "non-STEM" to be the rhetoric of the day. What is clearly needed is a new designation for the second group of disciplines that will not render them second-class. I recommend SSSMART (statistics, social sciences, mathematics and arts), which covers the disciplines while suggesting that we are - dare I say? - "going forward".
David Punter, Professor of English, University of Bristol.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now