Vietnam to get first foreign university

May 25, 2001

Work is about to start on Vietnam's first foreign-owned university after the Asia Development Bank agreed to pay $7.5 million (£5.3 million) towards the project.

The university is being established by Australia's Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. The communist government of Vietnam agreed to license the institution a year ago. The RMIT will cover 40 per cent of the $50 million costs with the remaining 60 per cent being financed by foreign investors. The bank's contribution will enable construction work to start soon. The RMIT International University of Vietnam, as it will be called, is being built on the outskirts of Vietnam's capital, Ho Chi Minh City.

The campus will feature a main building, a multipurpose amenities block, public and recreational facilities and student and staff housing. Construction work is scheduled to be completed by 2003, although students have been enrolling for courses.

RMIT International University of Vietnam said it will offer a range of qualifications, including bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees. Fields of study will range from technology to economics and natural sciences. The project is indicative of the communist regime's efforts to modernise the country's education system to provide the skilled workers required to staff a knowledge-based economy.

You've reached your article limit.

Register to continue

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Register

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments

Most Commented

James Fryer illustration (27 July 2017)

It is not Luddism to be cautious about destroying an academic publishing industry that has served us well, says Marilyn Deegan

Jeffrey Beall, associate professor and librarian at the University of Colorado Denver

Creator of controversial predatory journals blacklist says some peers are failing to warn of dangers of disreputable publishers

Hand squeezing stress ball
Working 55 hours per week, the loss of research periods, slashed pensions, increased bureaucracy, tiny budgets and declining standards have finally forced Michael Edwards out
Kayaker and jet skiiers

Nazima Kadir’s social circle reveals a range of alternative careers for would-be scholars, and often with better rewards than academia

hole in ground

‘Drastic action’ required to fix multibillion-pound shortfall in Universities Superannuation Scheme, expert warns