On 7 June 2014 the think tank Policy Exchange hosted a day of debate on what the main political parties should promise on education in their 2015 general election manifestos, in media partnership with Times Higher Education and TES.
The panel session that focused on higher education heard from:
- Mark Leach, editor-in-chief of the blog WonkHE
- Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment Research at the University of Buckingham
- Rachel Wenstone, vice-president for higher education at the National Union of Students
- Thomas Docherty, professor of English and comparative literature at the University of Warwick
- Nick Hillman, director of the Higher Education Policy Institute.
It was chaired by David Matthews, reporter at Times Higher Education.