UCL scholar shocked that government overlooked one great technology

Polina Bayvel of University College London says investment strategy missed the transformative potential of communications technologies

February 5, 2015

Source: University College London (UCL)

An academic has spoken of her “shock” and “shame” that communication is not one of the “eight great technologies” earmarked as priorities for investment by the government.

Polina Bayvel, professor of optical communication and networks at University College London, said the government had overlooked the potential of such technologies to overhaul public services such as health.

Speaking at a Westminster Higher Education Forum event about implementing the government’s Science and Innovation Strategy, Professor Bayvel said that communication technology was a “glaring omission” from the policy launched in 2013 by David Willetts, the science and universities minister at the time.

“Communication underpins all great technologies; it underpins your life in every way possible,” she said at the event on 29 January.

“[It is a] shock and shame that in the [United Nations International]Year of Light [and Light-based Technologies], in the country that invented optical fibres, communications does not feature in the eight great technologies,” she added.

The technologies singled out for a share of £600 million in funding as part of the government’s industrial strategy include synthetic biology, robotics, satellites and advanced materials.

Professor Bayvel said that satellites carry just 1 per cent of all data whereas optical fibres carry the remaining 99 per cent. She added that developing communication technologies would be vital to managing the amount of data that will be generated in the years ahead.

Arguing that more investment in the field could “transform” UK infrastructure, she described how video calling could cut operational costs in the NHS. “But [the government] do not see these applications and do not encourage the necessary research nor the development.”

Tony McBride, director of the Royal Society’s Science Policy Centre, said that to be successful, the eight great technologies need funding for the long term and must feature in regional and national science strategies. “It is important the funding is not spread too thinly,” he said.

holly.else@tesglobal.com

Times Higher Education free 30-day trial

You've reached your article limit.

Register to continue

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Register

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments

Featured Jobs

Assistant Recruitment - Human Resources Office

University Of Nottingham Ningbo China

Outreach Officer

Gsm London

Professorship in Geomatics

Norwegian University Of Science & Technology -ntnu

Professor of European History

Newcastle University

Head of Department

University Of Chichester
See all jobs

Most Commented

men in office with feet on desk. Vintage

Three-quarters of respondents are dissatisfied with the people running their institutions

students use laptops

Researchers say students who use computers score half a grade lower than those who write notes

Canal houses, Amsterdam, Netherlands

All three of England’s for-profit universities owned in Netherlands

sitting by statue

Institutions told they have a ‘culture of excluding postgraduates’ in wake of damning study

A face made of numbers looks over a university campus

From personalising tuition to performance management, the use of data is increasingly driving how institutions operate