n Brenda Gourley, vice-chancellor of the Open University, has been appointed chair of the Council of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
* Aberdeen University has appointed as librarian Chris Banks, former head of reference and research at the British Library. She is an active member of the International Association of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centres.
* Greenwich University has appointed Tom Barnes as pro vice-chancellor, research and enterprise. He comes from Auckland University, New Zealand, where he was deputy vice-chancellor (research).
* Nottingham Trent University has appointed Christopher Pole as dean for the School of Social Sciences. Professor Pole joins from Leicester University, where he held the post of sub-dean (PG) in the faculty of social science, and assistant director (research) for the School of Education.
* The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama has appointed Hilary Boulding - currently director of music strategy at the Arts Council England - as its principal. She succeeds Edmond Fivet, the longest-serving university principal in Wales, following his July retirement.
* The universities of Greenwich and Kent have appointed Iain Cumming, former European vice-president, research and development and quality at IVAX Pharmaceuticals, as head of Medway School of Pharmacy and Pfizer chair of pharmacy.