* Mark Addis , a reader in philosophy and cultural theory at the University of Central England, Birmingham, has been elected to the executive committee of the British Philosophical Association.
* Anthony McClaren , chief executive of Ucas, has been appointed chair of council at Gloucestershire University from September, succeeding David Setchell.
* Leeds University has appointed Clare Morgan , formerly deputy general manager of the dementias and neurodegenerative diseases research network at Newcastle University, as assistant director of industry at the UK Clinical Network co ordinating centre. Gary Rawnsley, formerly senior lecturer in politics at Nottingham University, has been appointed chair of Asian international communications at the institute of communication studies at Leeds.
* Guy Keith-Millar , post-16 outreach officer at the University of the West of England, has been elected chair of the Higher Education Liaison Officers Association, South West.
* Michael Arthur , vice-chancellor of Leeds University, has been appointed the new chair of Yorkshire Universities. He will take over from Diana Green, vice chancellor of Sheffield Hallam University, who is retiring this year.
* Chris O'Malley , former member of the European Parliament, has been appointed pro vice-chancellor (regional and international development) at the University of Wales, Newport.
* Leeds Metropolitan University has appointed Mary Eagleton to a professorship in the School of Cultural Studies. She is co-editor of Contemporary Women's Writing.