* Leeds University has appointed Christopher McCabe as chair in health economics in its Institute of Health Sciences. Professor McCabe previously held chairs at the universities of Warwick and Sheffield. Leeds has also appointed composer Derek Scott chair of critical musicology.
* Manchester University has appointed Karen Hassell , director of its Centre for Pharmacy Workforce Studies, to a chair in social pharmacy.
* The University of the West of England has appointed Sarah Hewlett to the first UK chair in rheumatology nursing.
* Peter Birkett , founder of QinetiQ Group, has been appointed chief executive of Southampton University's science park.
* Hertfordshire University has appointed Tim Longdon director of marketing. He joins from Nottingham University.
* The National Council for Drama Training has appointed Hilary Strong , previously executive director of Greenwich Theatre, as director.
* William Neill has been appointed chair in spatial planning at Aberdeen University. He was formerly reader and director of postgraduate planning studies at Queen's University, Belfast.
* QW Group , which owns Oxford Innovation, has appointed Michael Lyons , who is completing the Lyons review on the future of local government, and William Wells , chairman of the NHS Appointments Commission, as non-executive directors.
* Correction: Contrary to the report last week, Keith Gains has joined Nottingham Trent University, not Nottingham University, as dean of the law school.