John Harper , professor and vice-principal of Robert Gordon University, has been appointed to the new post of senior vice-principal and deputy vice-chancellor (academic development and quality).
* Oxford University has appointed: Ronald Roy of Boston University visiting professor and fellow of Balliol College; Nancy Bermeo , former politics professor at Princeton University, Nuffield professor of comparative politics and fellow of Nuffield College; Peter Harrison , professor of history and philosophy at Bond University, Australia, Andreas Idreos professorship of science and religion and fellow of Harris Manchester College; and Marc Diederik Lauxtermann , professor of modern Greek and Byzantine studies at the University of Amsterdam, Bywater and Sotheby professor of Byzantine and modern Greek language and literature and fellow of Exeter College.
* Leeds University has appointed: Nick Ellison , former deputy dean of social sciences and health at Durham University, professor of sociology and social policy and head of school; and Helen Priestley , who worked on university strategy projects, head of communications.
* John Wilson , professor, formerly at Teesside and Liverpool John Moores universities, is the new head of Salford University's Business School.
* Terence Treadwell , acting deputy head of housing services at the Univer-sity of the Arts, is to become chairman of the Association for Student Residential Accommodation.
* Peter Rolf Luzeier , former head of the School of Arts and chair of German at Surrey University, is to be pro vice-chancellor for teaching and learning at Hull University.