* Northampton University has appointed Gordon D'Silva , founder and chief executive officer of Training for Life (a social enterprise charity), visiting professor for social entrepreneurship. He was the 2006 winner of the Ernst & Young Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
* Edward Byrne has been appointed executive dean of the new University College London faculty of biomedical sciences and head of the Medical School, with effect from 2007. He is currently dean of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences at Monash University, Australia.
* Richard Fisher , vice-principal of St Mary's College, Twickenham, has been awarded a professorship; he is honorary president of the European Physical Education Associations and holds the Ling Award of the Physical Education Association.
* The University of Wales, Bangor, has appointed Graeme Harper professor of creative writing and director of the National Institute for Excellence in the Creative Industries. He was formerly at Portsmouth University.
* Huddersfield University has appointed new deans: Monica Gibson-Sweet , Business School, former associate dean in the faculty of business and law at Leeds Metropolitan University; Emma Hunt , School of Art and Design, formerly at Derby University; Christine Jarvis , School of Education and Professional Development, formerly at Sheffield Hallam University; Tim Thornton , and School of Music, Humanities and Media, formerly head of the University Centre Barnsley.
* Rachel Ellis-Jones , formerly vice-principal at Hadlow College, Kent, has been appointed principal and chief executive of Northumberland College.