* John Zarnecki , professor of space science in the Planetary and Space Sciences Research Institute at the Open University, has been appointed director of the Centre for Earth, Planetary, Space and Astronomical Research.
* Michael Rees of the University of Wales, Bangor, has been elected for a third term as chairman of the British Medical Association Medical Academic Staff.
* Ebrahim Adia , senior lecturer in education at the University of Central Lancashire, has been appointed adviser on the new Commission on Integration and Social Cohesion.
* Westminster University has named: Simon Jarvis , professor and former dean of the School of Biosciences, provost of Harrow campus; and Rikki Morgan-Tamosunas , professor and former dean of the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Languages, provost of Cavendish campus.
* Merfyn Jones , vice-chancellor of Bangor, is to be the next chairman of Higher Education Wales, the national council in Wales of Universities UK.
* Brunel University has appointed Robert Macredie , former head of the School of Information Systems, Computing and Mathematics, pro vice-chancellor for student experience.
* Peter Bernard , formerly of the University of Waterloo in Ontario, has been named director of the laser laboratory at York University. He will form a team to join the Atmospheric Chemistry Experiment satellite mission.