* Leicester University has appointed: Steven Trevillion , former head of social work education at the General Social Care Council, professor of social work; Bernard Barker , a lecturer at the university's Centre for Educational Leadership and Management, professor of education; and Heiko Balzter , professor at the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology at Monks Wood and head of the section for Earth observation, to the chair of physical geography.
* Christopher Howe , professor at the School of Oriental and African Studies who has served on the UK and Hong Kong Undergraduate Grants Committees, has been appointed to a chair in the School of East Asian Studies at Sheffield University.
* Katherine Smart , leader of Oxford Brookes University's brewing yeast research group and 2001 Royal Society industrial fellow, has been appointed the UK's first professor of brewing science at Nottingham University.
* Luton University has appointed: Andrew Bentley , who has worked for EMI Music, BP and Electrolux, chair of governors; and Ivor Gaber , broadcaster and political commentator, research professor in the School of Media, Art and Design.
* Katsuyoshi Nishinari from Osaka City University, president of the Society of Rheology in Japan and winner of the Japan Premier Award in Food Science, has been appointed visiting professor at the North East Wales Institute of Higher Education's Glyn O. Phillips Hydrocolloids Research Centre.
* Juliet Amos has been appointed human resources director at Teesside University.