* Avril Waterman-Pearson , professor of veterinary anaesthesia, has been appointed pro vice-chancellor at Bristol University. She is a fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and a recipient of its Livesey Medal.
* Kent University has appointed Robert Worcester chancellor. He will be installed at Canterbury Cathedral in July and will succeed Sir Crispin Tickell. Professor Worcester is founder of market researcher company MORI and a member of the university's council.
* Manchester University has appointed Nigel Vincent , Mont Follick professor of comparative philology, vice-president for graduate education, when Gerald Hammond retires in September; and Maria Balshaw, former research fellow and lecturer in American visual culture at Birmingham University, director of the Whitworth Art Gallery.
* Lancaster University's Institute for the Contemporary Arts has appointed Rachel Cooper its first director. She is currently director of the Adelphi Research Institute for Creative Arts and Sciences at Salford University.
* Royal Holloway, University of London, has appointed: Andrew Wathey , professor of music history, senior vice-principal; and Rob Kemp , professor of physical geography, vice-principal (academic affairs). Professor Kemp replaces Jane Broadbent who has moved to take up the post of deputy vice-chancellor at Roehampton University.
* The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges has announced that Dame Carol Black has been elected chair of the Academy. She takes over from Sir Alan Craft in June.