* Bob Anderson , professor and pro vice-chancellor for research and business development at Sheffield Hallam University, has been appointed chief executive of University Campus Suffolk.
* Brian J. Ford, broadcaster and Royal Literary Fellow at the Open University, has been appointed visiting professor at Leicester University's Beyond Distance Research Alliance. He was recently awarded the inaugural Professor August Kohler medal in the US.
* Roger Smith , deputy director of Bristol University's Language Centre, has been named director of Nottingham Trent International College, an affiliated college co-operation between Nottingham Trent University and Kaplan International Colleges.
* Appointed to the Commonwealth of Learning board of governors are: Jennifer Glennie , director of the South African Institute for Distance Learning, and Sudeep Banerjee , secretary at India's Department of Secondary and Higher Education.
* Southampton University has appointed David Cliff , formerly with MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab and since 1998 a director of Deutsche Bank's FX Complex Risk Group, as professor and leader of a new group in the School of Electronics and Computer Science.
* Celso Grebogi , previously professor of physics at the University of Sio Paulo, Brazil, and professor of mathematics at the University of Maryland, has been appointed to a 6th Century Chair as professor of nonlinear and complex systems and will lead the Centre for Applied Dynamics Research at Aberdeen University, not Staffordshire University as we reported last week.