* Mark Swenarton , architectural historian and co-founder of journals Architecture Today and EcoTech , has been appointed professor and head of the department of architecture at Oxford Brookes University.
* Christine Bullock , who has held senior roles at colleges in Swindon, Chippenham and London, has been appointed vice-principal for skills and partnerships at City of Bristol College.
* Edinburgh University has appointed the poet and novelist Brian McCabe as its writer-in-residence for two years. He will be concerned with organising readings for visiting writers and students and will collaborate with the City of Literature on an event or conference.
* Oxford University has appointed Stephen Nickell , professor of economics at the London School of Economics and a member of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee, warden of Nuffield College from September 1; Nicholas La Thangue , currently chair of biochemistry at Glasgow University, professor of cancer biology in the Nuffield Department of clinical laboratory sciences and fellow of Linacre College; and William McKenna , currently Henry K. Pancoast professor of radiation oncology at the University of Pennsylvania, professor of radiation oncology and biology and a fellow of Wolfson College.
* Linne Mooney - former professor in the department of English at the University of Maine, visiting fellow at Cambridge University (1992-96) and visiting professor at York and Queen's University Belfast - has been appointed York University's first professor in medieval English palaeography.