* Christopher Fynsk , former professor of comparative literature and philosophy at the State University of New York in Binghamton, has been appointed chair in comparative literature and modern thought at Aberdeen University.
* Kent University has appointed Carole Barron head of its Enterprise Unit. She has been acting head and was manager of the Electronic Systems Design Centre in the department of electronics.
* Martin Griffin , former head of the Graduate School and of research in the faculty of science and land-based studies at Nottingham Trent University, advisory board member of the Medical Research Council, president of the European Association for Higher Education in Biotechnology, fellow of the Institute of Biology and evaluator for the National Research Foundation of South Africa, has been appointed head of the School of Life and Health Sciences at Aston University.
* The Board of National Health Service University has appointed Philip Brown interim chief executive. He joins NHSU from North West London Workforce Development Confederation, where he was chief executive, and is former director of emergency care and information development in the London Regional Office of the NHS.
* Joe Cavalla , former managing director of Climax Development, and Martin Lloyd , former innovation adviser for Business Link Wessex, have been appointed sector managers at Plymouth University's research and development service.
* York University has appointed Richard Woolley , dean of film and television at the Hong Kong Acad-emy of Performing Arts, to the Greg Dyke chair of film and television.