* Brian Waggett has been elected president of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers for 2004-05, succeeding Judith Rowley. He has served as an executive member since 1994 and as branch secretary for Sefton since 1992.
* John Seybolt , senior vice-president and professor of management at the Garvin School of International Management in Arizona, has been appointed dean of Melbourne University Business School.
* Sue Mace , former secretary of the West Wales branch of the Chartered Management Institute, has been appointed executive officer for the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (Cilip) Cymru.
* The University of Central England's School of English has appointed two new lecturers: Jackie Gray , novelist and experimental editor who worked on Clare Morrall's Booker shortlisted Astonishing Splashes of Colour ; and Lance Woodham , playwright and drama worker, who was writer-in-residence with the Worcester Swan Theatre and New Theatre Works in Hereford.
* Liam McCabe , director of governance and management, appraisal and policy at the Scottish Higher Education Funding Council, has been appointed director of strategic financial management and business services for Queen Margaret University College's Re: LOCATE project. Jane Scott , who worked for UnivEd Technologies at Edinburgh University, and Shawn Galbraith , formerly oft Cornell University, New York, have also been appointed to the project.
* Southampton Institute has awarded the title professor of higher education to its principal, Roger Brown .