* Chris Gale , head of undergraduate studies at the Law School at Leeds Metropolitan University, has been appointed professor and founding director of legal studies at the newly formed Bradford University Law School.
* Edward Harris , professor at Brooklyn College, City University New York, has been appointed to a professorship in the department of classics and ancient history at Durham University.
* Jack Pringle , director of Pringle Brandon Consulting and a partner in Pringle Brandon, has been elected the 71st president of the Royal Institute of British Architects, taking over a two-year presidency from George Ferguson.
* Frances Corner , former head of the Sir John Cass department of art, media and design at London Metropolitan University, has been appointed head of college at London College of Fashion; she is also vice-chair of the Council for Higher Education in Art and Design.
* Mike Prosser , the Higher Education Academy's director of research and evaluation, has been elected co-president of the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. He will share the post with Keith Trigwell , director of the Centre for Excellence in Preparing for Academic Practice at Oxford University.
* Manchester University has appointed: Alan Hamlin , formerly at Southampton University, chair of political theory; Nicola Tirelli , formerly senior lecturer, chair of polymers and biomaterials; and John Challis , chair (part-time) in maternal and fetal health in conjunction with an appointment as professor of physiology and obstetrics at the University of Toronto.