* Peter Maxwell Davies , composer and master of the Queen's music, has been appointed professor of composition at the Royal Academy of Music.
* Glasgow University has appointed: Ted Cowan , professor of Scottish history, director of the university's Crichton Campus; James Grossmith , former musical director of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama's chamber choir, director of chapel music; Stuart Reid , specialist in epidemiology, dean of the faculty of veterinary medicine; David Barlow , former Nuffield professor of obstetrics and gynaecology at Oxford University, executive dean of the faculty of medicine; Ian Black , former director of personnel at Kent University, director of human resources; Steve Beaumont , founder of the Institute of System Level Integration, vice-principal for research and enterprise; and Andrea Nolan , former dean of the faculty of veterinary medicine, vice-principal for learning and teaching.
* James Stirling , director of Durham University's Centre for the Study of Particle Physics, has been appointed pro vice-chancellor with responsibility for research.
* Greenwich University has appointed: Steve Wallis , former director of the Medway campus and head of the university's international office, director of recruitment and admissions; and Maureen Carstens , former associate director of systems and services at London Metropolitan University, director of information and library services.
* Hilary Hearnshaw , deputy director of the Centre for Primary Healthcare and Reading in Health in the Community at Warwick University, has been appointed to the advisory board of the Medical Research Council.