* Marian FitzGerald , former researcher in race relations at the Home Office, has been appointed visiting professor of criminology at the Kent Criminal Justice Centre, University of Kent.
* Aberdeen University has appointed Catharine Macaslan , former head of the School of Education, vice-principal for learning and teaching.
* Sara Selwood , former research fellow and principal lecturer at Westminster University, has joined City University as professor of cultural policy and management and head of department.
* Napier University has appointed Alan Burns , director of Diageo Scotland, visiting professor.
* Ivor Tiefenbrun , has been appointed visiting professor at Strathclyde University. He is the founder and managing director of Linn Products and will work with the department of design, manufacture and engineering management.
* York St John College has appointed Sebastian Kim to a new chair in theology and public life. He was leader of the Christianity in Asia Project at Cambridge University where he taught world Christianity.
* Jeroen Huisman , research co-ordinator at the University of Twente's Centre for Higher Education Policy Studies, has joined Bath University as professor of higher education management and director of the International Centre for Higher Education Management.
* Tony Harker has joined the Institute for System Level Integration, a collaboration of four Scottish universities, as director and chief executive officer. He formerly managed the European ASIC design group at Fujitsu and until recently was a director of Cypress Semiconductor.