Majority of research funding goes to minority of institutions

71 per cent went to 31 universities because of ‘narrowed’ definitions of excellence, claims report

September 11, 2014

Just five universities shared a quarter of recurrent funding for research in 2012-13, according to a report.

“Narrowed” definitions of excellence mean that half of research funding went to 12 universities, says the report published by Million+, which represents a group of post-92 institutions. Overall, 75 per cent went to only 31 universities, with the remaining 130 institutions sharing the remaining 25 per cent.

The group says that the government should rethink research funding calculations because current policies are directing resources to fewer universities, which affects students and businesses as well as the research base.

Pam Tatlow, chief executive of Million+, said: “Successive governments have stressed their desire to invest in research excellence, but if we are to deliver growth by research we also need to change the game. Definitions of excellence have been narrowed and funding parameters changed to produce unwarranted levels of concentration, which will only take the country so far.”

The report calls for increased investment in research given the low percentage of GDP invested in the area compared with other Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development countries. It also asks for a new funding stream for translational research, more funding for the social sciences and creative industries, and restoration of funding for 2* quality research.

The weighting given to 2* research in quality-related funding decisions by funding councils was reduced in 2010 and removed completely in 2012-13.

This has left research funding at non-Russell Group universities down 10 per cent since 2009-10, with post-92 institutions – where research funding was down 17 per cent, according to The Innovation Challenge: A New Approach to Research Funding – losing out the most. Over the same period, investment in research at Russell Group institutions has increased 3 per cent, it says.

The report also says that the distribution of research funding affects the resources and facilities available for students, which is “rarely mentioned”. “The investment per postgraduate student in modern universities is around 12 times less than in Russell Group universities, despite far larger numbers of students [at modern universities],” it adds.

holly.else@tesglobal.com

Times Higher Education free 30-day trial

You've reached your article limit

Register to continue

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 6 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Register

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments

Featured Jobs

Research Assistant LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS & POLITICAL SCIENCE LSE
Lecturer in University Study Skills UNIVERSITY OF HAFR AL BATIN
Lecturer in English Language UNIVERSITY OF HAFR AL BATIN

Most Commented

question marks PhD study

Selecting the right doctorate is crucial for success. Robert MacIntosh and Kevin O'Gorman share top 10 tips on how to pick a PhD

India, UK, flag

Sir Keith Burnett reflects on what he learned about international students while in India with the UK prime minister

Pencil lying on open diary

Requesting a log of daily activity means that trust between the institution and the scholar has broken down, says Toby Miller

Application for graduate job
Universities producing the most employable graduates have been ranked by companies around the world in the Global University Employability Ranking 2016
Construction workers erecting barriers

Directly linking non-EU recruitment to award levels in teaching assessment has also been under consideration, sources suggest