* The University of Oxford has made the following appointments: Marilyn McCord Adams , chair of historical theology at Yale University, regius professor of divinity and canon professor at Christ Church; Deborah Cameron , professor of languages in education at the University of London, Rupert Murdoch professor of language and communication; Edwin Williams , professor of Hispanic studies at Edinburgh University, professor of Spanish studies; George Pattison , associate professor of practical theology at Aarhus University, professor of divinity and canon of Christ Church.
* The University of Lincoln has confirmed two appointments: Peter White , formerly with the Metropolitan Police Forensic Laboratory, London, and director of forensic science at Strathclyde University, chair of forensic science; and John Chilton , former reader in architectural structures at the University of Nottingham and scientific coordinator for TensiNet, professor of architectural structures.
* Paul Dowdall , senior lecturer in economics at the University of the West of England, has been appointed visiting researcher at the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
* Peter Saunders , dean of clinical studies at St George's Hospital Medical School, London, has been named vice-president of the Royal Society of Medicine.
* John Duffy , head of statistics at the department of primary care and general practice at Birmingham University, has been named head of statistics at the Scottish Higher Education Funding Council's corporate policy and services division.