* Caroline Baillie , currently seconded from Imperial College London to serve as deputy director of the UK Centre for Materials Education at the University of Liverpool, has been appointed DuPont Canada chair in engineering education, research and development at Queen's University, Ontario, Canada.
* Paul Collard , head of programme development for the Newcastle Gateshead Initiative, has been named University of Newcastle upon Tyne's first David Goldman visiting professor of business innovation.
* David Gordon , professor and dean of the faculty of medicine, dentistry, nursing and pharmacy at the University of Manchester, has succeeded Robert Boyd as chairman of the Council of Heads of Medical Schools in the UK.
* Clive Morton , associate professor at Middlesex University Business School, has been appointed chair of the new Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board.
* Eleanor Taffner , a Charles Rennie Mackintosh enthusiast, has been made an honorary vice-president of Glasgow School of Art.
* Geraint Talfan , fellow and governor of the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff, has been appointed chairman of the Arts Council for Wales.
* Christine Braddock , principal of the Matthew Bolton College of Further and Higher Education, has been appointed to the board of the Learning and Skills Development Agency.
* Helen Carey , novelist and fellow of the Royal Literary Fund, has been appointed writer in residence at University College Worcester for a year from September.