* John Barrow , professor of mathematical sciences at the University of Cambridge and director of the Millennium Mathematics Project, has been appointed Gresham professor of astronomy. He will deliver six lectures a year for three years.
* Ian Russell , formerly with Hull York Medical School, has been appointed the first professor of public health at the University of Wales Bangor. He will also head the university's Institute for Medical and Social Care Research.
* Chris Mitchell , professor of computer science at Royal Holloway, University of London, has been appointed to Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing Academic Advisory Board.
* Graeme Roberts , vice-principal for teaching and learning at the University of Aberdeen, has been appointed chairman of Aberdeen Performing Arts, which will run His Majesty's Theatre and the Music Hall.
* Andrew Farrell , former director of business operations support with Xerox Europe Finance and a member of the Association of Corporate Treasurers - has been appointed finance director at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
* Peter Robb , professor of Indian history at the School of Oriental and African Studies, has been appointed pro-director of the school. He will take over from Christopher Shackle in July.
* Neil Chalmers , director of the Natural History Museum, has been elected to the wardenship of Wadham College, Oxford University. He will succeed John Fleming on October 1.