* The University of London has named Robert Lethbridge director of the British Institute in Paris. The professor of French language and literature at Royal Holloway, University of London, will take up the post from October.
* Michael Farthing has been named principal of St George's Hospital Medical School from October. He is currently executive dean of the University of Glasgow's faculty of medicine.
* The University of Durham has appointed Amritpal Hungin dean of medicine. He is professor and director of primary care and general practice at the Centre for Integrated Health Care, general practitioner, chairman of the NHS Research and Development Forum, and founder and director of Northern Primary Care Research Network.
* Frances Mannsaker , dean of quality and enhancement and acting head of the school of law at the University of Glamorgan, will become pro vice-chancellor at the University of Lincoln from June.
* David Welsh , director of health, safety and environment at Rolls-Royce, has been appointed visiting professor in engineering design for sustainable development at the University of Bristol under a scheme forged by the Royal Academy of Engineering.
* Hassan Hassan , director of the Lincolnshire Institute for Health, based at the University of Lincoln, has been appointed a member of the Medical Research Council's National Advisory Board. He will be inaugurated to the board in June.
* Chris Price will become head of Thames Valley University's international office in mid-March. He is currently head of the office at the University of Westminster.