* David Gibson , chief executive of the Association of Colleges, has announced that he will retire next August. Mr Gibson, 63, has been chief executive of the organisation for four years.
* John Bessant , director of Brighton University's Centre for Research in Innovation Management and an honorary professor at Sussex University, has been appointed professor of innovation management at Cranfield's School of Management.
* The University of Wales, Swansea, has appointed Richard Davies vice-chancellor from October 1, 2003. Professor Davies is pro vice-chancellor at Lancaster University and a researcher in applied statistics.
* Colin Talbot , professor of public policy and management at the University of Glamorgan, has been appointed specialist adviser to the House of Commons public administration select committee in its inquiry into public service targets. He has also taken on advisory roles to the National Audit Office and the Treasury Committee.
* Lord Sutherland of Houndwood, former principal and vice-chancellor of the University of Edinburgh, has been appointed a Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle in recognition of his outstanding service to Scotland
* David Begg , professor of economics at Birkbeck College, has been appointed director of Imperial College London's Business School. He has been a research fellow at the Centre for Economic Policy Research since 1984. He has also been an adviser to the Bank of England and the Treasury.