The University of Hong Kong Vision
The University of Hong Kong, Asia’s Global University, delivers impact through internationalisation, innovation and interdisciplinarity. It attracts and nurtures global scholars through excellence in research, teaching and learning, and knowledge exchange. It makes a positive social contribution through global presence, regional significance and engagement with the rest of China.
The University of Hong Kong will endeavour:
- To advance constantly the bounds of scholarship, building upon its proud traditions and strengths
- To provide a comprehensive education, benchmarked against the highest international standards, designed to develop fully the intellectual and personal strengths of its students, while extending lifelong learning opportunities for the community
- To produce graduates of distinction committed to academic/professional excellence, critical intellectual inquiry and lifelong learning, who are communicative and innovative, ethically and culturally aware, and capable of tackling the unfamiliar with confidence
- To develop a collegial, flexible, pluralistic and supportive intellectual environment that inspires and attracts, retains and nurtures scholars, students and staff of the highest calibre in a culture that fosters creativity, learning and freedom of thought, enquiry and expression
- To provide a safe, healthy and sustainable workplace to support and advance teaching, learning and research at the University
- To engage in innovative, high-impact and leading-edge research within and across disciplines
- To be fully accountable for the effective management of public and private resources bestowed upon the institution and act in partnership with the community over the generation, dissemination and application of knowledge
- To serve as a focal point of intellectual and academic endeavour in Hong Kong, China and Asia and act as a gateway and forum for scholarship with the rest of the world
The University of Hong Kong’s original mission was to be the English-speaking university for China. As we stride forward into our second century, this mission is still relevant but the context has radically changed, is still changing and will remain dynamic and unpredictable for the foreseeable future. We will need to be more global in our outlook in all our activities, more nimble and adaptable than before, more ambitious and “can-do” than risk-averse and conservative, more solution-orientated than problem-orientated, and more proactive in our communications and branding. We will adopt the characteristics of the world’s top universities, which include excellence in all aspects of teaching, research and knowledge exchange; a global, not merely local or regional, perspective; and meaningful collaborations with premier global universities, and industrial and charitable partners. We will also secure resources with robust risk-management protocols so that risks, perceived or real, do not stifle development; and all will be underpinned by modern, innovative and flexible enabling platforms to ensure optimal delivery.
The University of Hong Kong is a great university. It has much to be proud of in its history, its strong and supportive alumni base, its current students and staff and its spectacular facilities, but it can be greater. Greater in terms of international reputation and the quality of its graduates, greater in terms of impact on society, greater in terms of scope of excellence and range of influence. The University of Hong Kong can join the world’s greatest universities and this document sets out a manifesto for taking us there.