Kazakhstan’s short history as an independent country and its geographical position between Europe and Asia are advantages as it aims to develop into a knowledge economy, Loretta O’Donnell, vice-provost for academic affairs at Nazarbayev University has said.
Set up in 2010 by president Nursultan Nazarbayev, the institution was the venue chosen by Chinese president Xi Jinping to announce the Belt and Road Initiative in 2013. In conversation with Times Higher Education at the recent THE Asia Universities Summit, Dr O’Donnell said that participating in the scheme will influence the university’s curriculum and mission to be an international, research-intensive institution.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
- Unrestricted access to the UK and global edition of the THE app on IOS, Android and Kindle Fire
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now