Wrocław University of Science and Technology began life as the Technische Hochschule Breslau in 1910, founded by German scientists and engineers, with the support of Emperor Wilhelm II of the German Empire.
In May 1945, the fortress of Festung Breslau was overrun by the Soviet Union’s Red Army and the Technische Hochschule Breslau along with the city was ceded to the People's Republic of Poland.
So the Wrocław University of Science and Technology (or Politechnika Wrocławska in Polish) was the product of 27 professors, originating from the Technische Hochschule Breslau and the Technical University of Lwów, who arrived in Wrocław and began teaching in the school’s damaged buildings in November 1945. Since then that day has been celebrated as Wrocław Science Day.
The university’s buildings and infrastructures are spread throughout the city, with its main campus facilities near Plac Grunwaldzki, alongside the Oder river. It also has three regional branches in Jelenia Góra, Legnica, and Wałbrzych.
Often regarded as one of the best technical and engineering universities within Poland and globally, it educates over 32,000 students in 50 bachelor's, master's, and PhD programmes.
Its focus is on science and technology, although it has 13 faculties offerings a variety of disciplines such as architecture and urban planning, civil engineering, chemistry, fundamental problems of technology, pure and applied mathematics and electronics.
Students are self-governed and have an active students union and range of student societies where students have the opportunity to develop their scientific and creative passions, from the Academic Motors Club to the University Sport Association. The university also has a non-commercial radio (Academic Radio LUZ).