The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (UVAS) was established in Lahore in 1882 as a Veterinary School and was granted Punjabi Veterinary College status by the end of the 19th century. In 2002, it was granted university status. UVAS is one of the oldest veterinary universities in Asia and is among the top 10 universities in Pakistan.
UVAS comprises some 23 departments spread over five faculties, three research institutes, one constituent college and a school, as well as seven affiliated institutes: Attock, Rawalpindi, Shiekhupura, Okara, Lahore, Narowal and Sahiwal.
There are five campuses at UVAS: the City Campus Lahore, the Ravi Campus Pattoki, the Avian Research and Training Centre at Ferozepur Road, the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Jhang and the Para Veterinary School in Karor Lal Easin in the district of Layyah.
Set up in 1882 as the Dog Hospital and later upgraded to a pet centre, the UVAS Pet Centre is the oldest teaching hospital in Asia. The library, also established in 1882, is the oldest institution of its kind in Asia.
It has advanced research in areas including animal production and technology, biotechnology, microbiology, food sciences and zoological sciences.
The university’s programme for the commercialisation of research and expertise is dedicated to building efforts on poverty reduction, prosperity, livestock production and increasing trained manual labourers in the country.
On-campus facilities include a mosque, playgrounds, sports pitches, an indoor sports centre and a 24-hour teaching hospital.