Founded in 1958, the University of Oulu is one of the largest higher education institutions in Finland. An international science university with a focus on innovation, it is home to 16,000 students and around 3,000 members of staff.
The university is organised across 10 faculties: Science, Technology, Humanities, Medicine, Education, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine. Alongside these are housed schools in business, mining and architecture.
The university is divided into four campuses, with the main campus located in the Linnanmaa area of Oulu (around three miles north of the city centre), which houses five of the institutions’s faculties as well as the Infotech Oulu, the Thule, Giellagas and Martti Ahtisaari Institutes, the Centre for Wireless Communications and more.
Its second campus, about a mile southeast of the centre, is the site of the Faculty of Medicine, the Clinical Research Centre, Welltech Oulu and the university’s medical library.
A third campus area is 115 miles southeast of Oulu in the town of Kajaani, close to the Baltic Sea while its fourth, located near Oulu’s centre, is where its department of architecture can be found.
The university cites its research strengths in the four key areas of information technology, biosciences and health, the environment, and cultural identity.
Internationally, the university has approximately 50 bilateral agreements in place with partner universities around the world. It also participates in Erasmus programmes for European students, FIRST schemes for Russian students, and International-to-International ISEP for students from the United States, South America and Asia.
Oulu is the most populous city in northern Finland and the fifth most populous in the country, whose residents are renowned for large-scale adoption of new and cutting-edge technologies
The University of Alcalá (UAH) is a public university located in Alcalá de Henares, Madrid, a Unesco world heritage site and one of the longest standing European universities, dating back to 1293.